The electrocution affected two other persons while six houses and other properties worth several millions of naira were razed down.
Eyewitness, who gave his name as Uwem Francis, said the incident occurred at about 6:30 am at 17 Umo Orok Lane in Calabar South local government area in Cross River State, when his wife came out to open her shop, and discovered that there was a surge from one of the conductors on the high tension but it stopped because they took the light and he went back inside.
“But about 7:30 electricity was restored and that spark continued but the voltage was really high because my stabilizer could not supply light to the fridge it was above 220 watts so I unplugged my refrigerator and plugged it directly, before we knew it the small transformer near my wife’s shop blew and wire fell and current started flowing through everything that had life in that vicinity
“I was confused whether to enter the house and pick my kids or run to my wife’s shop, but I and other neighbour quickly removed the fuse from the meter and our own line went off but other compound didn’t know that it was from the high tension so their building was engulfed by current from the high tension.
“Fire started in some of them destroying property and the houses itself, while Joseph who was popularly known as “Man of God tried to unplugged things in his house, he was electrocuted. He was taken to three different hospitals but was rejected and he died in the process. The high voltage also spread from number 17 to 22 of the same Lane affecting no fewer than six houses.
“If you had come in a bit earlier you would have met his corpse, his wife to be and some people just took his body to Akwa Ibom, because his wedding was scheduled for January 2018, and the lady came around because they have been planning, but he is no more,” he said.
A Survivor, Ms. Patience Joseph, a mother of three, who narrowly escaped being burnt to death, said she didn’t even know what happened but discovered that people were shouting as she tried to come out of the house.
“I am in great pain, but I am glad, I survived, I am glad I made it, I learned that “Man of God“ died but I am happy that I am still alive, but I feel deep pain all over my body because the wire threw me on the ground, I am a single mother of three who would have taken care of my children, I sell plantain and chips to train them, I bless God for giving me another chance“ she said.
Another victim, Mr. Effiom Edem Cobham, Chief Security at EPZ under the employment of Earth Summit Securities said that he lost everything in the incident including N580,000 that was given to him late Saturday night to pay workers because he is a supervisor in the outfit.
“Look at my house, look at my life, where do I start from here, I have lost everything apart my from life, even the money I was given to pay workers salary, was also burnt, you can see the remains of what is left, my wife didn’t know about it because it wasn’t a family affair, I brought in the cash late Saturday night to be used today, to pay workers its gone” he lamented.
At the time of filling this report, officials of Port Harcourt Electricity Distribution company (PHED) or government were yet to visit the victims.